Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Banana Berry Peach Smoothie

If you read my previous post, then you know that Fry has some molars coming in right now. Two nice big ones on both the left and right side of the top of his mouth. They've been slowing pushing through for WEEKS now, and have really been messing up his whole little world. Most of the time, he's just fine. But the pain has most certainly affected his eating and sleeping habits. Understandable, yes… But still troublesome when the little stinker is waking up wanting to nurse 2-3 times a night again all of the sudden because his tummy is grumbling because he ate like a bird all day long! Le sigh.

So I got to thinking…
When I was pregnant with him, my first trimester was especially brutal. I felt nauseous and threw up often, and had very few foods that I could stand to see or smell (let alone eat and keep down). My solution? Liquid food! Slimfast shakes became my new best friend. Not because I was trying to lose weight, obviously, but because in one glass I was getting plenty of protein and vitamins and nutrients. It was generally far easier for me to keep down, and I figured a diet shake was better than nothin'.

So I got to thinking some more…
If liquid meals kept my belly happy when I couldn't eat anything else, why not do the same for baby boy? An epiphany! He was eating nothing but pureed fruits and veggies a few months ago, only now he'll be drinking it through a straw himself. Same difference, right? So lately, after we attempt some din din, he gets a fruit smoothie before bed. This is not only helping to fill his belly up a little bit more to encourage him to sleep through the night, but it's a real treat for him too! He sucks em up so quickly I honestly don't know how he doesn't get derailed by brain freezes.

Here's what you need:
Banana
Frozen peaches
Frozen blueberries
Milk

These, of course, have about a billion variations. Use whatever fruit or veggies your kiddo enjoys most, or even sneak in some of the ones they don't! My general go to smoothie for the boy always includes milk and banana as a base, and frozen fruit to thicken and chill the drink without having to use ice. I'm currently using a Ninja blender system, which is AWESOME (more on this lovely machine to come). If your blender isn't too great however, these smoothies should still come together for you just fine. The frozen fruit seems easier for most blenders to take down than ice. Anyway…

Put half a banana (and save the other half for breakfast or a snack for the next day), about 4-5 peach slices, roughly 10-20 blueberries, and 1/4-1/2 cup of milk into your blender. (We've been introducing cow's milk to Fry's diet recently. Since lactose intolerance is very prevalent on Dad's side, we're easing it in very gradually. Fry's shakes only get about a 1/4 cup of skim milk, and we're only using skim because that's what we drink. If there were even a half gallon of fatty milk, the majority would go to waste. So for now, he's getting what we're getting.)

Now BLEND! Duh.

And that's that!
If it's thin enough, pop it into a straw style sippy cup. If it's thicker, you'll probably have to monitor your little one with a regular cup and straw. If that doesn't work, well, you're on your own my friend.

(You see my creepster beast monger in the background there? Hahaha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment